Mr Gary Hayes – Director MUVEDesign.com & Founder Storylabs.us
After many years working in the UK’s Music and Multimedia industry Gary joined the BBC in London as a multimedia editor and quickly became a Senior Development Producer then Manager and leading thinker in the BBC’s development of the internet, interactive TV and emerging platforms from 95-04. He devised & produced many of the BBC’s ‘firsts’ – Digital Text, the first broadcast interactive TV service – ‘Nomad’ the first live internet documentary – ‘X-Creatures’ the first broadband TV service and even introduced the first video and audio onto the BBC’s internet sites in 1996. Gary produced and devised over 20 other eTV and broadband TV services including Top of the Pops, Travel Show, State Apart and several future BBC cross-platform navigators. He also conceived with the linear show producers award winning iTV projects such as Antiques Roadshow, Walking with Beasts & various BBC iTV game formats. Gary created numerous courses and seminars on Interactive thinking for linear producers, was active in the Blue Sky Imagineering and R&D depts looking at personal TV and virtual spaces and was a leading part of BBC strategy teams from 2001 in preparing for on-demand, cross-platform services.
Living & consulting in the US during 2004-5 he line produced Showtime’s PVR enhanced L-Word, as part of AFI digital labs and devised a range of new on-demand program formats for two national TV networks. Gary also produced & chaired conferences around LA including Hollywood industry panel seminars and Digital Days both looking at emerging media super-distribution models. He also chaired the Business Models Group from 99-03 for TV-Anytime (the lead media-on-demand standards body) and co-authored a Department Trade and Industry Report on Personal Video Systems. He has been an International Interactive Emmy juror for the past three years.
Between 2005 -10 Gary was the Director the Australian Laboratory for Advanced Media Production run through AFTRS (Australian Film TV and Radio School) and based in Sydney and was probably Australia’s premier emerging media R&D and production labs. It combined seminars, workshops, immersive rapid prototyping residentials and industry focused product development. Through AFTRS he also ran workshops in multi user virtual environments (MUVE) for cinematographers, designers, script writers and directors exploring the potential of shared social online virtual spaces for collaborative production, creativity and education.
From a commercial perspective Gary is CCO and Head of Virtual Worlds with MUVEDesign (and previously the Sydney based Project Factory respectively) pioneering alternate, augmented & virtual world creation and immersive & organic story experiences for TV/Film, Education, Business & Performance. MUVEDesign are currently building and devising commercial and game-like services in Transmedia, Augmented Reality and also virtual worlds, having recently produced and built major Second Life Australian presences including Telstra, ABC, MultiMedia Victoria Laneways, Deakin University, AFTRS, Thursday’s Fictions & other Fortune 100 companies in Second Life. He runs a fictional MUVE blog JustVirtual and a renowned top 10 Australian Media and Marketing blog on media personalisation, digital brands, new media forms and creativity at www.personalizemedia.com and has presented at over 450 conferences on subjects ranging from Transmedia, Augmented Reality business, Advanced and Interactive TV, Personalization, Brands and Education in Virtual Worlds, Media Futures and Interactive Art and Music amoungst others. As a published music producer, composer and performer he has had over 200 works performed live and on TV/Film and Radio.
Take your pick from any of these emails:
- gary @ personalizemedia.com
- gary @ muvedesign.com
- gary @ storylabs.us
- mail @ garyhayes.tv
- gary @ korkyt.net
- gary @ justvirtual.com
Garys web universe
- www.PersonalizeMedia.com – Gary’s main media blog. Started mid 2005
- www.StoryLabs.us – Gary is the main founder of this global, multi platform storytelling development initiative
- www.MUVEDesign.com – His company designing and producing Transmedia, Augmented Reality and Virtual Worlds. Started mid 2007
- garyphayes.com – A comprehensive hub site, partly devoted to composed music and other personal creativity
- www.Korkyt.net – Currently Gary’s Filmic Composer Site. (originally homepage/blog format started mid 1995)
- www.GaryHayes.TV – Focus on Advanced TV blog. Started beginning 2004
- www.JustVirtual.com – POV as Gary Hazlitt in Second Life. Started early 2006
- www.LAMP.edu.au – The Australian leading Social & Cross Media Development Lab directed by Gary. Started mid 2005 ended 2010
- www.TheProjectFactory.com – Gary was Head of Virtual Worlds, most video content on the site still his work. Started 2007.
- The BBC Musical Nomad – a reconstructed blog site from a live webumentary project (live satellite blogging from Central Asia in 1997) originally at bbc.co.uk/nomad from 1997 – 2008.
Other sites & social media:
Gary’s Web 2.0/3.0 and Social Networks
- Facebook – Gary Hayes
- Twitter – GaryPHayes
- Skype – cubrig31
- MySpace Page
- YouTube The Icarus Channel
- Flickr Pro Account Photos
- Friends Reunited
- Google Video Australian Film TV and Radio School
- Google Video Gary Hazlitt
Selection of wikipedia and wiki cited blog based articles (up to April 07). E.g.:
- LAMP Alternate Reality Games
- Alternate Reality Games in Virtual Spaces
- Cross-Media What Audiences Want
- BBC Production still online from 1997 ‘The Musical Nomad’
- The Brand Owners Guide to Joining the Metaverse
- Virtual Worlds, Web 3.0 and Portable Profiles
- Witnessing the Birth of An Entertainment Form
- TV property branded Virtual Worlds – the beginning
- Second Life – The Creative Tool for the Masses
- TV formats in Shared Spaces, Virtual “Big Brother
- Phase Two – TV & Design Brands and Virtual Worlds
- Merged-Media Entertainment – where reality ends, virtuality begins
- Putting the Space in Virtual – Second Life