I was invited to keynote at the IADIS multi conference in the really tough summer environment that is Carvoeiro (a quaint Portugese coastal town & limestone cliff’d seascape on the Algarve). The conference (at the Tivoli Hotel image below) has many strands overlapping probably due to over 1300 submitted papers looking at a massive range of topics. I have linked to each of the main strands below that were excellently edited by Prof. Katherine Blashki, Prof. Pedro Isaías & others. Most of the papers are typically academic (meaning theoretical or retrospective), but a few gems some were ‘zeitgeist practical/industrial’ and some needed a good deal of focus, kick-up the proverbial.
I was lead keynoting for a few strands, namely Telecommunications, Networks and Systems 2009, Informatics 2009 and the main conference Game and Entertainment Technologies 2009. It was a tall order to bridge these areas so I tried to encapsulate a few of my own current practical strands as well as ‘thinks’ at how play is truly everywhere, already escaped the bounds of the screen but the real focus was about the many new forms being created organically inside social media networks. (This slideshare is annotated – albeit in a slightly jetlagged haze and so only scrape the surface of the key messages!). The talk was well received and nice to see terms like ‘transocialmedia’ being used in discussion in later sessions. Also interesting to see a Strategy Analytics report using the term ‘Social Virtual Worlds’ I coined a couple of years ago in a report linked here and in my presentation below.
- e-Learning 2009
- Intelligent Systems and Agents 2009
- Wireless Applications and Computing 2009
- Game and Entertainment Technologies 2009
- Visual Communication: Creative Industries, Photography and Culture 2009
- ICT, Society, and Human Beings 2009
- Web Based Communities 2009
- Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction 2009
- Data Mining 2009
- Telecommunications, Networks and Systems 2009
- Informatics 2009
- e-Commerce 2009
- Computer Graphics, Visualization, Computer Vision and Image Processing 2009
- Web Virtual Reality and Three-Dimensional Worlds 2009
- e-Health 2009
Laurel Papworth is keynoting at the moment of writing and there is more info on her blog here. She will be putting up her slideshare too shortly and will add a link.