Delivered as part of the LAMP Residential V Freycinet, Tasmania Oct 06
Created by Jackie Turnure & Gary Hayes © 2006
Level 1 – Puzzles Teams are allocated by puzzle pieces and solve the anagram to find which computer to go to.
Level 2 – Code Cracking/Coins Teams read letter then enter second life where they are split in two, half are directed to hunt for gold coins in area with other teams. Others must find the secret code “1892” to get to next level.
Level 3 – Treasure Hunt Teams are given “kit” and directed to one of four rooms that houses a map. Teams split in two and using walkie talkies find a series of cards that give them story fragments and treasure chests that contain the final direction to return to bar.
Level 4 – Story Creation The barman gives each team a drink with directions to create a story utilising all the elements of the game. Teams can purchase story props with gold coins.
Level 5 – Presentation Team presents stories which are voted on and the best one receives a prize.
“The Freycinet area has a rich history. Today I’m going to tell you about two Italian brothers who tried to make their fortune here. Their names were Mario and Biagio Zanchetta and in 1933 they applied for a permit to quarry pink granite. For a while their business was successful and their granite was used throughout Tasmania and exported to Italy. A photograph of the M. V. Naracoopa (250 tons) used to transport granite is shown in the foyer of this hotel. The Zanchetta pink granite was highly sought after and if you tour the famous landmarks of Italy you can see examples of the beautiful stone. However one night a strange electrical disturbance was recorded in this area and the next day the Zanchettas abruptly closed down their granite business. No-one knows why. Your job today is to work together in teams to explore the Italian Connection to the Freycinet Peninsula and complete the Zanchetta’s mysterious story.”
“To begin, please assemble outside on the deck where you will be assigned your teams”.
Direction #1: Back of puzzle
Once they complete and turn over puzzle – The Zanchettas hail from a famous Italian city. It’s a mixed up kind of place.
Anagrams (computer names): City of…
1. Ram Icy Foot – Roma
2. Foamy Tin Coil – Milano
3. Finality Coop – Napoli
4. Yurt Fiction – Turin
Take this message to the breakout rooms to discover more about the famiglia Zanchetta.
Direction #2: Computer/Second Life
An envelope message on the computer –
Here you will find the virtual resting place of the
1. Zanchetta’s Great Aunt, Maria Zanchetta. You must traverse this world to find the key to her demise. But be quick – you only have 20 minutes and the first team to finish this task will be rewarded for their effort.
2. Zanchetta’s Grandmother, Manuela Zanchetta. You must traverse this world to find the key to her demise. But be quick – you only have 20 minutes and the first team to finish this task will be rewarded for their effort.
3. Zanchetta’s Great Uncle, Michelangelo Zanchetta. You must traverse this world to find the key to his demise. But be quick – you only have 20 minutes and the first team to finish this task will be rewarded for their effort.
4. Zanchetta’s Grandfather, Massimo Zanchetta. You must traverse this world to find the key to his demise. But be quick – you only have 20 minutes and the first team to finish this task will be rewarded for their effort.
Directions #3 – In Second Life
1. Benvenuti to the final resting place of the famiglia Zanchetta. To find who you are looking for, make your way to the archway. But please walk lightly on this land. The spirits are weary and do not like to be disturbed.
2. Bravo. Now you must pass through the portal under the divine arch. Follow the path around to the right of the mountain of fire. Make haste, the ancestors are waiting.
3. Fantastico, you have made it this far. Now you must cross the bridge of death. Take care but remember time is of the essence. The ancestors are watching your every move.
4. Auguri, you did it. Now you have reached the point in the quest where the team must break in two. Send two of you to find gold coins in X area. Find as many as you can in 15 minutes and meet back with the team by 6:00pm. The rest of you continue on your ancestral journey. Follow the coastal path to the right around to the Forgotten Forest and the Mists of Time.
5. Attensione. The Mists of Time are here to protect those that rest within. Find the grave of the ancestor you are looking for and click on it. But take care not to click on the wrong grave. The spirits do not take lightly to being awoken before their time.
6. Buongiorno. You have discovered the holy site of my remains. But the key to my death is not found here but in the watery grave where I lost my life. Walk to the sea and turn left. Follow the coastline towards the sun. Tis a long walk so make haste.
7. Bravo. You have done well. Now you must cross the Bridge of Life to where the Lamp Post stands. There you will find a diving board over the water, my secret lies in the treasure chest below. Jump in if you dare, but look out for the cause of my demise.
8. “1892” Auguri, you did it! Take this clue and meet up with your team mates. Give the clue and three of the gold coins to the bar person. She has something for you to help you in the next part of your quest.
Direction #4: Kit from Bartender
Once they have given clue and gold coins to bartender – “Here is your game inventory. It contains Health, Communication and Orientation Tools, and a Torch. Take the inventory to room to find the map and next instructions.”
Direction #5: Map
Once they have gone to the appropriate room – written above map.
Bravo, you have done well to get this far. Now to your next challenge – hidden on the property are five playing cards each with a fragment of the Zanchetta story. Use this map and the directions to find them and you will be close to completing the quest. Split the team into two – half of the team stay here and direct the other half using the walkie talkies. Collect the cards and report back your findings. But do not remove the map or directions from this location. Start now, you must have completed this task by 6:30!
1. Hold down the function key until the light goes on
2. Only one of you press call button to initiate connection.
3. Press black button on side to speak, leave one second at head and tail for clarity.
▪ Hold level and wait until it “settles” for accurate reading
Directions x four separate sheets:
1. 10 Card – walk three paces etc etc, first half of story fragment, fill in second part
2. Jack Card – walk three paces etc etc, first half of story fragment, fill in second part
3. Queen Card – walk three paces etc etc, first half of story fragment, fill in second part
4. King Card – walk three paces etc etc, first half of story fragment, fill in second part
5. Ace card – record the temperature and look under/dig etc for treasure chest holding the last clue
16 Story Fragments: – 12 english, 4 italian
1. Strands of hair gushed like bubbles // as they grew back on her shaved head.
2. He swallowed thirstily, his mouth caked dry, // his tongue swollen and tender.
3. The beautiful glittering name fell // out of the sky like a blue steel feather.
4. It is not that the girl is unfit, // she is not of this world.
5. Pale grew the lighthouse flame // as I watched the shadows draw away and morning break.
6. One night my father tried to steal me // and sell me to a man with one leg.
7. Tired after a bad night, // Chantal left the hotel.
8. He was gripped by an enormous compassion and decided // to write her one last letter.
9. The rise and fall of wind // made the land seem to move in small shudders.
10. When the tired wings // fold, he mumbled.
11. He called me Jess because that is the name // of the hood which restrains the falcon.
12. She is dressed in // the skin of her people.
13. Il bambino // morto (the dead baby)
14. Una promessa // rotta (a broken promise)
15. La lettera // persa (the lost letter)
16. La tempesta // enorme (the huge storm)
Direction #6: Ace Card
Once they have collected all five cards – “Check in with team for instructions”
Direction #7: Treasure Chest
Once they have opened treasure chest – “Auguri, you did it! Take the Ace card and these coins to the bartender for your final instruction. You are getting very close now!’
Direction #8: Drink Bubble
Once they have given the coins and last card to the bartender –
The Zanchettas were famous for their pink granite but no-one knows why they suddenly abandoned their highly successful business. Did it have something to do with the strange electrical disturbance that descended upon the peninsula? Was there a horrific family scandal? Or was it something else entirely? Using all the elements of the quest; puzzle image, city name, ancestor, date and card story fragments, create the end of the Zanchetta story. You can use any leftover coins to purchase additional story elements from the props vendor. Your 3 – 5 minute story will be presented tomorrow morning at 9:00am sharp. You have until 7:00pm, be creative – the best story wins a very special prize!